The RAF Memorial has stood on the banks of the River Thames since 1923. The RAF Benevolent Fund's original charitable object was to raise a memorial to airmen who died in the Great War. This is the official memorial of the Royal Air Force and its constituent services.
The monument is built of Portland stone and is topped with a gilded eagle, looking south towards France.
It is a striking tribute to the brave men and women of the RAF – past, present and future.
In 1946 additional inscriptions were added in memory of those who died in the Second World War.
On 15 September every year the Chief of the Air Staff places a wreath at the foot of the memorial to commemorate Battle of Britain Day, and every Remembrance Day at dawn a wreath in the shape of a pilot’s brevet (uniform badge) is attached to the memorial.
The RAF Benevolent Fund is responsible for the upkeep of the memorial, and we have recently renovated the memorial to restore it to its former glory and preserve it for future generations.